jasminetargett.com

Monday, June 2, 2014

Jasmine Targett Awarded Senini Sculpture Prize from McClelland Gallery

I am thrilled, delighted, honored, stoked... to announce my installation has been awarded the 2013 Mary and Lou Senini Sculpture Prize at McClelland Gallery and Sculpture Park. 


Title : What the eyes do not see
Medium : Hand blown glass and telescopes
Dimensions : H1.6m x W2.6m x D0.8m

A little about the artwork- 

At night when I look through my telescope I often wonder could there be another person with a telescope looking back at me?

I suffer from what 17th-century English philosopher Francis Bacon called ‘a mystified incomprehension that science alone cannot cure.’ When I think about observation I sense there is a greater connection between object and observer than my eyes can fathom. The Entanglement Paradox has scientifically proven that the observer and subject become molecularly entangled during observation creating an osmotic transference of energy and information. This connection happens instantaneously at a minimum of over 10,000 times faster than the speed of light.

‘What the eyes do not see’ aims to explore how observation challenges the way we understand the world, and how thinking about observation changes what we see.

 
Thank you so much to my beautiful friends and family that came to show their support, we had a scrumptious afternoon. I wasn't expecting to be awarded even remotely, I was too distracted by Mardi the Curator from the Hawthorn Town Hall Gallery telling me that I had gotten a job working with the gallery. It was one of those rare milestones where in 10 minutes everything in your life changes!

No comments:

Post a Comment